Grower Calls for H-2A Fix, Labor Reform

By Frank Giles There’s a farm labor crisis facing American agriculture. Adam Lytch was among the growers who took that message to Washington, D.C., on May 31 to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Lytch, regional manager at L&M Farms, called on lawmakers to consider comprehensive immigration reform that recognizes the needs of farmers who grow the domestic food supply. …

Woman of the Year in Agriculture Award Nominations Open

Nominations for the Woman of the Year in Agriculture Award, sponsored by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) in conjunction with the Florida State Fair Authority, are now being accepted. All nominations must be submitted by Aug. 1. The award annually recognizes the achievements of women who have made outstanding contributions to Florida agriculture. “The Woman of …

Programs Providing Assistance for 2022 Natural Disasters

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack recently announced two programs that collectively provide $3.7 billion in assistance to crop and livestock producers who sustained losses due to natural disasters like Hurricanes Ian and Nicole in 2022. They are the Emergency Relief Program (ERP) and Emergency Livestock Relief Program. To participate in the programs, producers should have or be prepared to have the following forms …

North Florida Melon Producers Benefitting from High Market Demand

By Clint Thompson North Florida watermelon growers are in prime position to reap the benefits of the current market demand. Bob Hochmuth, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) Regional Specialized Extension agent in Live Oak, Florida, explains how his region’s producers want harvests to remain fruitful as long as possible. “With the demand so strong, South …

NOAA Forecasts Near-Normal Hurricane Season for 2023

National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) forecasters with the Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, predict near-normal hurricane activity this year. NOAA’s outlook for the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season, which lasts from June 1 to Nov. 30, predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of …

Florida Mango Production and Marketing Seeing Changes in 2023

By Clint Thompson Mango production in Florida looks much different than it did many years ago. Producers are growing varieties not grown in other countries. They are also marketing their crop much differently than in previous years. Jonathan Crane, associate center director and tropical fruit specialist at the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Tropical Research and …

Promoting Florida Grape Products

By Maegan Beatty Throughout the U.S., there are over 28,000 farms growing grapes on over 1.1 million acres. The top grape growing states are California, Washington, New York and Oregon. While Florida is not included on this list, the grape industry is rising in popularity due to the agritourism opportunities. Some of these opportunities include grape vineyards and wineries. In …

Protect Your Groves From Citrus Leafminer

Healthy citrus fruit in FL. The citrus leafminer is a small, hard-to-detect pest that hides during the day and comes out at night to lay its eggs. Though this pest is small, it’s been known to cause severe damage to FL citrus crops. Having a broad-spectrum insecticide at your fingertips could go a long way in protecting your crops. While …

Celebrating 50 Years of Growth

Chemical Dynamics is a leading provider of crop nutrition solutions, focused on helping farmers grow specialty crops in Florida, the Southeast and across the US. Our company was founded in 1973 by W.B. “Hap” Carson in Plant City, FL and has been a family-owned and operated business for three generations. For the past 50 years, we have developed a diverse …